Monday 21 July 2014

Take A Bow America

The USA certainly did not disappoint in the World Cup.

Well, the fact that they were knocked out in the second round of the World Cup was in itself disappointing, but it was disappointing for all the right reasons. The USA at this tournament won round the world with a never say die attitude and spirit that pushed theoretically superior teams to the limit and which was rewarded as such bravado often can be, with qualification out of the Group of Death.

Now it would be all to easy to dwell on the defeat against Belgium. However, the real narrative of the USA campaign has and shall remain, for the immediate future; one of potential.

Tim Howard was mighty between the sticks against Belgium,
propelling himself into the US Soccer stratosphere as a legend never to be forgotten.

Potential is a word that has been floated around about the United States and football for a while now. The past 2 decades has seen a tremendous growth in the American game that has elicited exciting responses from Americas incredibly devoted (and rapidly growing) soccer fanbase, and the more ambitious have declared that we are on the verge of the dawning of the Age of the Yank. Perhaps a tad premature, but this serves as a good example of the confidence that permeates the American psyche.

America came to the World Cup to win. Their German coach held a much more realistic opinion of their chances but even then his was the opinion of the man playing the long game, not the pessimist. Americans backed their team, and they did so in larger (and noisier) numbers than ever before. Yet the true success story was did not revolve around the support - though the ripples of that one will certainly be felt in the future. The true success story was about the players living the dream in Brazil.

Klinsmann has seemingly made great 
impressions on his young American side

The youth of America seems to relish the challenge of competing with the big boys with a passion that turned heads. DeAndre Yedlin, Omar Gonzalez, John Brooks, Timothy Chandler, Matt Besler, Fabian Johnson, Mix Diskerud, Julian Green... These are players with plenty of World Cups within them and who made big statements about themselves at the World Cup, and on the biggest stage of them all the world took notice.

One of the biggest success stories was the young Seattle Sounders star DeAndre Yedlin. Following his performances the rumours are circulating that he will secure himself a big move to a European team in the future. At the young age of 21, Yedlin has an opportunity to improve his game in a huge way. Likewise, Sporting Kansas City have also received interest in their World Cup Stars. However, what is interesting about Sporting KC is that the indication is there that the MLS club may keep hold of their stars. Europe still retains its allure, yet MLS has raised its profile in leaps and bounds. In fact in 2010, there were only 6 MLS players at the World Cup, this year there were 22, 10 of whom represented the United States. The American game is on the rise, and the future is bright.

As a footballer lover making a new life in the USA, I give my thanks to the soccer-Gods that by all indications America is going to make a huge impact in the future and that I will be able to witness it first hand. Of course, the game will always have its detractors (witness Ann Coulters much criticised rambling rant about the game) in America, but they are an ever decreasing minority. Even my fiancée's father, a man who obstinately clings to his traditional American sports with a religious zeal, like many of his generation, followed the progress of the USMNT with an interest that exceeded the casual passiveness of the past. It was a very pleasant surprise.

Following Germany's victory, my fiancée left me with a ponderous question. Supposing England and the USA made it to the next World Cup Final, who would I support? Now obviously as an Englishman the immediate reaction would be to say England. Yet, I also love the underdog, America is to be my new home, I love my fiancée and her American family, I love the team and I love the soccer culture. They have won me around to such a degree that such a choice was more difficult than I ever thought it could be, much to my inner patriots horror and much to my very own surprise. Now I did ultimately choose England, the land of my birth and where I learned to love the game, yet my decision came with some very interesting logic. Such an unlikely final, I reasoned, would possibly be the last chance England could have for a very long time to win the World Cup. Not true for the USA, who's star seems to be very much on the rise.

What surprised me was not the logic behind my decision, but how easy such logic came to me. Who knows, maybe some of that famous American confidence and optimism has rubbed off on this Brit? As an Englishman and a Middlesbrough fan, something to celebrate within the sport makes a very welcome addition into my life, and for that the USA has my thanks. A new breath of life to go alongside my new life.

I love this game, and America is learning to love it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment